ADVANTAGES OF VASER LIPOSELECTION
1. It is tissue selective, which means that the ultrasound energy targets unwanted fat, but preserves other surrounding tissues such as nerves, blood vessels and connective tissue, promote smooth contours
2. Lipo Selection is the latest, third generation ULTRASONIC liposuction technique that is designed to virtually eliminate bleeding during surgery and to reduce inflammation and bruising and reduce healing time
3. Ultrasound technology literally liquefies the fat, which allows for greater precision and vastly superior results
4. Since there is much less tissue trauma, there is also reduced pain and discomfort after surgery
5. When compared to standard liposuction skin retraction is seen and hence skin tightening is an added advantage with this procedure
The anaesthetic: If small volumes of fat are to be removed then VASER has the advantage that a local anaesthetic is all that is required and this means that you are awake during the procedure. For larger volumes of fat removal or if multiple areas are treated then a ‘twilight’ anaesthetic can be used which means that an intravenous sedation technique (TIVA, total intravenous anaesthesia) is more suitable. For even larger volumes of fat removal a full general anaesthetic may be required.
The markings for liposuction is done in the standing position. The surgeon begins the operation by making a small incision of 4-5mm long in the selected area. The fat layer is then infused with tumescent fluid containing lidocaine and adrenaline to control blood loss. A small probe, which transmits ultrasonic energy is then inserted. The probe is used to selectively break the stubborn fat cells and emulsify into the liquid infusion. The emulsified fat is then removed using a specially designed suction cannula Vent.
As the procedure only requires a small incision and no physical force whatsoever, the payback period is much shorter than traditional liposuction. Moreover, no suturing or sewing is necessary, and during the healing process, the skin retracts seamlessly to give firmer looking, smoother and more natural feel. However, some scars are inevitable.
For small to intermediate volumes of fat removal you will be able to go home the same day. For large volumes of fat removal you will be required to stay the night in hospital.